Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Session Two: Day One


Today was a success!  We started out with no vomit (miraculous!) and as you can see in the picture she was in a pretty good mood.  She sat content in her bumbo watching Mickey while I finished getting myself ready.
We got to CLC and she didn't seem to remember the outside and then when she got inside and saw her conductors she got a very serious face.  She stayed that way for awhile and then Andrea came and asked her if she was happy to be back at school and she just looked at her and said "my chair."  Andrea said "I asked you a question, are you happy to be back at school?"  Laila thought then said "no."  HA!  That girl is so funny.  So Andrea told her that attitude won't do and went on her way.  I do LOVE how much the "get" Laila.  I love the way that they speak to her and wait and expect her to respond because she truly can even though she fools most people by pretending she can't.

There are like 13 kids in her class this time!  Whoa!  I think the most there were last time was 6 or 7.  I love it because that is one of the big parts of her gaining confidence is being able to see all these other kids like herself and know that if they can accomplish things then it's possible for her too.  Because of the size of the class, parents are not all staying in the classroom for the first week like I did last time.  I will be in the classroom tomorrow afternoon and Thursday morning.  I'm fine with this because Laila really does better without me there.  I was in and out of the school today because I had a conference about our goals and every time I walked past her classroom I heard no crying!  Woohoo!  They only time I actually heard her cry today was when I was helping her on the potty right when we got to school and another mom I hadn't seen since last time hugged me and Laila fell off the potty!  oops!! 

I'm not sure what's going on in Laila's mind but she has been asking to go on the potty a ton lately.  She doesn't go most of the time (unless she's with Bamma Kathy!) but I'm excited that she wants to.  Her conductor today said she asked a few times other than the scheduled times in class today but also no success.  Well I can't say no success, just her actually wanting to be on the potty is a huge success!  I did buy pull-ups for the first time yesterday because it is so hard, especially in public restrooms, to be able to get her diaper off and get her on the potty in an short amount of time.  Having trouble potty training??  Try having a child who doesn't walk, stand or barely hold any of their own weight at all.  Oh, yes, I'm a sweaty mess almost every time!  You'd think I'd be thinner for all that work with her!

In our conference we focused mostly on Laila's arms.  She has such a strong reflex to throw her hands up in the air if she is startled, excited, doesn't like something, and all sorts of other reasons.  She also tightens them so much when she concentrates which makes dressing and undressing, writing, doing iPad activities, driving her power chair and all the things she likes to do even harder as well.  Our doctor (at Riley) has tried to get us to put her on a muscle relaxer again but I just think that the cons outweigh the pros.  The hazy mind and relaxation of the whole body just seems to be counter-productive to what we're trying to do with her.  Andrea agreed.  Laila is physically able to relax and straighten her arms so it's not a matter of botox or muscle relaxers, it's a matter of getting her brain to figure out how to control her arms.  Enter:  Conductive Education.  They really work on getting their minds to understand and control their bodies by narrating everything they are doing with songs and fun rhymes.  I'm very excited about this being one of our main goals for this session and they seem to be coming up with a good plan to help.

So what did I do today?  Well, I brought her, had a parent meeting which was a blast getting to see everyone again, was going to run but the treadmill here at RMH doesn't work, went to Aldi and then........got a Diet Coke and fruit n' yogurt parfait from McDonalds for $1.06 with my house discount!  Oh man, this could mean trouble for me!  I unloaded my groceries, ate my delicious snack, head out to my conference then checked out the MAC which a is a fitness club right next to CLC that I can go to for free.  I plan to go run there tomorrow morning after I drop Laila off.  I wonder what it will be like running on a treadmill that isn't 4000 years old??  No complaints though because ours was given to us for free by a wonderful couple that we adore.

Please keep Jackson in your prayers as he was sent home from school today with a fever.  Have I mentioned lately how thankful I am for my family??  I have an amazing husband who is willing to play Mr. Mom while working and juggling housework, cooking and refereeing a 9 and almost 7 yr old.  I also have an amazing mom taking the kids every day after school and other family who jumps in to helps out with the kids while I am gone and especially today when Jack's at work and can't leave.  Laila and I are so blessed to have people who love us and people who believe in her so much that they sacrifice themselves for us to have this opportunity.  We love and thank you all who made this possible.

Looking forward to what the next few weeks brings!

3 comments:

Lynneea said...

I love reading your updates and I'm so excited to see how much she grows in the next 4weeks

Lynneea

MamaDuck76 said...

I love your updates. You are so good at focusing on the positives! Here's hoping for a good first week...and a treadmill good enough to work off the parfaits you enjoy this month ;)

Steigenbergs said...

Praying for our friend Jackson. Keep us posted. And praising God for CLC and the difference it makes in even 1 day! ~J