Monday, September 5, 2011

Our new House (for the next few weeks)






We've made it to Michigan! We drove up this afternoon after several instructions and tears given at the home front before I left. I'm sure they are going to do fine and I'm just so lucky and thankful to have and amazing husband who is willing to take on the challenge of being without me with two kids who have homework, spelling tests, bible memory, chores, reading, girl scouts and on and on. A big thank to both moms and my sister for helping make this work too!



So the story begins last fall when I ran into another mom in our town with a little one with CP. Her son is a few years older than Laila so I had a great time being able to pick her brain about what works and what doesn't. That day she told me that if there was one thing she could suggest it would be conductive education. I had, of course, never heard of it but quickly went home and found the facebook page of the center she goes to which led me to their website. After seeing the prices I wasn't sure if we'd be able to swing it. That's where the magic came in :)



After talking with Laila's current First Steps therapist about it they seemed very excited and interested. One therapist was so interested and believes in Laila so much that their family paid Laila's application fee. They do 12 days of giving at Christmas and they made Laila one of their days. Amazing! So, then came the tuition. I started talking about this opportunity with the ladies at my bible study and asking them to pray about it. One suggested that I apply for a grant through our local electric company, REMC. This company has a program called "Operation Round Up" where they round everyone's bill to the nearest dollar and then every quarter they give the money away. Turns out there were a few people on the board that had heard of Laila's story, our adoption and how much progress she has been making already and so they decided to cover her whole tuition! I just want to stop and say right here, do not ever limit God, especially when it comes to money. We've seen over and over when He calls you to something he provides. We are also staying in the Ronald McDonald house while we are here. They partner with CLC to provide rooms if they have any open. The only stipulation is that we have to pay a per night fee but it's definitely cheaper that 3 weeks in a hotel. And, by the way, when I got here today someone had already called and paid almost our whole stay. Thank you!



So as we begin this journey tomorrow, I am excited and very nervous. We've been talking about this for almost a year and so many people have said "I can't wait to see what she can do when she gets back" which is where the nervous comes in. I feel a little like we are putting a lot of expectations on this and I don't want to be disappointed but I guess time will tell. If I know one thing it is this, Laila can already do far more than any of us could've ever imagined so anything else is icing on the cake :)



Thans for checking in with us and please keep us in prayer as we start at 9am tomorrow morning. I'll try to update again tomorrow night to tell you how our first day was :)

8 comments:

Grandma Kathy said...

Glad all went well on the drive up . Love you guys and don't worry about Jack & the kids we all will take care of them. Jack is an amazing dad so I bet he can hold down the fort . Love you and miss you ! Mom

Ape said...

These 3 weeks are going to be an amazing opportunity for you and Laila both. For her to be able to interact with other kids just like her is awesome and for you to be able to spend time with other parents who do the same things as you day in and day out is going to be amazing!! I know you are going to embrace every aspect of this wonderful opportunit! Love you both very much!!
Ape

Kat said...

It looks like a really nice RMH!!!

Moomock said...

When you get the chance, take a look at this video: http://donniebrainard.blogspot.com/2011/08/viktoria-szolnoki-my-wife-doin-tv.html.

It's my wife, who is a Conductor, talking about Conductive Education.

Donnie

natalie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
natalie said...

We stayed at the RMH this past May while our daughter was attending CLC for the 4 week session. We got great results and looking to get back there ASAP!! We even considered moving there just for the program. The people at RMH are wonderful and so helpful which I'm sure you know! We also drove the Michigan but from Boston. I have some videos on youtube if you'd like to check them out. Feel free to email me at venezia.nat@gmail.com. I also found your blog through Andrew Suttons post on facebook. You may find me on there also. Good luck and enjoy your Michigan trip!! We sure did!

natalie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emma Hamstra said...

So glad to have some places to check out more info! Thank you and thanks for checking us out as well!