Monday, September 19, 2011

Day Ten: Over the Hump

It was yucky and rainy here today so we had to cover up Laila's pretty new toe nails but it was exciting for her to finally wear her super cute clearance Converse we got a while back :)
They said Laila had a good day today.  I did get to see her sit on the potty this morning because we got their early enough for her to try.  She didn't go but I did get to see that she is being more compliant.  It's funny because if she is distracted and not thinking about it she's fine but then she'll cry again.  I'm sure it has to do with her just relaxing.  When she tenses up it gets uncomfortable.  She'll get there I'm sure.  She did pretty good with eating today too.  Over the weekend I found yogurt that has 190 calories per serving so I snagged that up!  I never thought I'd be looking for foods with the most calories in them but I like to make what she actually takes by mouth count so there I sit in the baby food and yogurt aisles looking at every container looking for that jackpot one that has like 180 calories in a four ounce jar.  Craziness!

There is a little boy "D" (don't want to use his name) that seems to have a little bit of a crush on Laila :)  This is a super fun thing because this doesn't happen every day for a girl like her.  He's five and is actually one of the most advanced kids in the class.  He has been asking to be paired up with Laila during their individual programs but that's probably hard to do for them with the girl who is the least experienced with the boy who is the most advanced but I guess today they let them.  Well, they said today she did the best scooting on her back and rolling that she has done so far.  When scooting she was following directions and drawing her knees up and then pushing and drawing them back up.  They said she also seems to be understanding a little more that she can use rolling to get where she wants to go.  She's been able to roll for a very long time but never does it because she doesn't particularly like being on her tummy so she just doesn't do it at all.  If she can continue to realize that she can get places and doesn't have to just stay on her stomach I think this one could start getting into some real three year old mischief.  While to some that's annoying, I would delight in that.  I really think if she could get over some issues like that and have her own mobility, a lot of other things could click in her mind.  She needs confidence in herself.

So, we're on the other side of the hill now, racing toward the end of this journey.  I was able to tell the office today that we didn't need our big room anymore because there will be no more overnight guests.  I moved into a smaller room while Laila was at school.  We're back in one of the room that has just been renovated so I'm excited to take a bath in the nice deep new tub and be able to play Elmo for Laila on the actual TV instead of the laptop.  There is also a blood center right next to the RMH here so I went over and gave blood today.  I was sitting down to my bible study and decided that I might as well be giving blood while I do it.  Made my time double productive.  I love that! 

I wanted to let you know too that I have never seen that family of the little boy with the brain tumor again.  I'm not sure what happen, I only saw them that one morning and that was it.  I hope everything turned out OK.

Thanks again for checking in with us :)

No comments: