I really hate writing blogs without pictures but I just haven't been able get any of Laila in action lately. I also didn't know until our parent meeting yesterday that I hadn't been supposed to be taking pictures in the classroom. Oops!! I guess Laila did have a little photo session at school today for some of her before and after for her final report. I can't believe I'm saying that already! We only have two more days left. I'm thankful that those of you reading have been patient with my emotional roller coaster that I've gone through with this whole process. I feel like some days I've believed in this therapy and some days I haven't been so sure but now getting to the end of it I wish it wasn't over because I know it's working.
One of the big things I see that is completely amazing is that she is making more neurological connections. It has been a completely blessing to be able to witness this firsthand. Remember back at the beginning when I said I felt like all I say was "hold on to the bar, hold on to the bar, hold on to the bar" and I would be physically placing her hand back on the bar to try to get her brain to understand wheat that meant? Well, she's made the connection and now does it on her own. I only have to say it now and while she's always known in her mind what it meant, now she can actually connect her mind to her motion and do it. She also is doing so much better at the potty and similarly when I tell her to put her feet back on the ground when she draws them up she understands, thinks and does it. Not to say that our stubborn little one who like to rebels doesn't still defy when she's mad but she's figuring out how to fix it. She is getting so much better also at knowing that I will not put her in her wheelchair without getting six good steps out of her first. She's stopped going limp and just gets the steps over with so she can sit down. That stiff right leg of hers is getting so much better at being able to bend up before stepping too. Can't remember if I said this the other day but I've seen so much at how she has to have a balance. She can get so excited and concentrate so much that she tenses everything up, trying so hard to move that she actually can't That is getting better too.
Tomorrow I get to be in the classroom again and I'm excited and nervous all at the same time. I can't wait to get to work on these things with her again and be part of the classroom activities. I'm hoping to be able to soak it all up and retain it to have a good grasp when we go home. I'm also nervous about teaching some of these things to her teachers and therapists back home and trying to find a plan to implement them there but I'm sure we'll all figure it out together. One of the greatest blessings is that Jack is able to fly up with a friend on Friday and spend the day in the classroom with us. I can tell someone all day long about what we do but to actually be able to be there and see it firsthand makes me feel so much better about being a team and doing these things together at home. I'm also excited that I don't have to pack everything up and drive home by myself Friday. I do love a good car ride with my hubby :)
I wanted to share a little perspective that I got on Monday when I was home. My sister teaches aerobics and I decided to go to her class. I took Laila with me because honestly how much trouble can she get into ;) As I watched my sister teach class with one broken arm I started to think about dedication and hard work. She could take the time off and heal but she doesn't. She has this job of course to make a little extra money but she's told me before that it's mostly for accountability to be able to stay fit. While it's hard sometimes (especially with a broken arm!!!) she stays at it to stay healthy and be a good example of that to her children. Half way through the class I took Laila out of her wheelchair (making her stand up first of course!) and I laid her on the floor and put her baby and her Elmo book about three feet away from her so she would have to work at getting to them by rolling or scooting. As I cursed my sister for one more set of reps lifting our legs with a weight under our knee I realized a new perspective on how hard things are for Laila. I have a perfectly useful body and whine and complain about exercise and how hard it is but then expect Laila to be perfect at what she's trying to do. I have the ability and brain connection but don't use it because it's hard sometimes. I watch that precious little one fight moving tiny inches at a time but over that last half hour of class she made it those few feet to her precious Elmo book. I'm sure everything she does feels like there is a weight on top of her arms and legs and she making huge strides fighting for every inch. Just another lesson learned in my life taught by this little three year old :) CLC was picked as a charity partner for the Fifthe Third charity walk/run in May and I just may think about getting myself in shape to be able to do that........ like my non-comittment to that :) Let me know if you'd like to join me!
I was able to spend the morning while Laila was in school catching up with my friend Lisa from Kalamazoo and snuggle her sweet little girl Reese today. Thanks for meeting me Lisa!
Wednesday, September 28, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
So glad that you are seeing progress! I bet you will notice lots more when you get home. Loved the thoughtfulness in your comments about recognizing how difficult things are for Laila. I need to do that more with my daughter. We push cause we want their brain and muscle to learn and progress. But, we can't even imagine what inner strength they have to do what they do each day. Hugs to you and yoru family.
Post a Comment