Sorry this is a day late but I remember now why I’ve been so good a blogging while I’ve been gone: I’m a busy woman at home!!
Yesterday seemed to be good but I didn’t hear too much about how things went at school. We had another good potty experience at the beginning of class. She seemed a little sluggish on her walk out to me in the hallway but did OK.
We left straight from school to drive the three hours to come home for the weekend. I am very glad that we did decide to do the extra week because I feel like she had just started to come back around to trying and really grasping some of the stuff she was learning so it’ll be good. I want to say a HUGE thank you to those of you who offered to help us out with the tuition for next week. It’s amazing to see how many people care and want to see Laila succeed.
I have to be honest and say that being home is definitely different. When we’re up in Michigan it’s all about Laila and we can focus on the things we need to work on and she gets everything she needs. Now being home can be a different story and we’re going have to try to implement this into our daily lives. I have two other children and lots of demands on my time. Just looking at the week when we come home for good we have appointments in LaPorte, two days in Indy, I have to lead hymns at the nursing home and run a meeting for the parent teacher conference committee which I’m the chairperson of.
I have a meeting with the director next week and they have several families that come from out of state so I’m sure they have a good plan for me on how to do this. I had a brief conversation with her this past week and she told me that coming home would be hard. Laila knows now that she has to do these things in Michigan but it’s going to take a whole other set of training and stages to overcome to get her to realize that it’s going to happen at home too. She’s used to home being something different where she doesn’t have to be responsible for her own body and actually use her muscles. So, since she said that I figured we better start already this weekend with a bit of a new routine so she would know that now that she’s learned these things they don’t stop at home. I was also told not to try to change too much right away or we’d both end up frustrated and quit all together. I’ve decided to do the potty with her a few times a day, she has to take at least six steps to get to her wheelchair any time she’s going to go in it and she has to shift her weight and stand up in her wheelchair before I will pick her up. These were things I had started in MI as well so she’s starting to get used to it. She still doesn’t enjoy the potty much at all outside of school but since I know she can do it, we’ll work till she gets it. I also had a worse attitude about not really caring about her using the potty but after having lunch with some of the other moms they told me I’ll think it’s not a big deal now and then regret it because the older they get the harder mentally and physically it is for both mom and child. I’m grateful to be able to talk to them and learn from their experience.
We stopped and Laila got some love from GG before we got all the way home.
So glad to be home with my big kids!
Laila was excited to be in her bed instead of a bathroom! :)
I’d like to ask for your prayers for me to change my image of the way that I think things should be. It’s very hard for me to be home and see Laila seemingly exactly the same. I know it’s not true and she has learned a ton and will continue to learn but my one goal was for her to be able to sit up and we’re not even close to that right now. To be home and see her laying on the carpet to play with toys breaks my heart. I know God has big plans for her and I know I need to readjust my thinking but I really thought I was setting the bar low in my expectation so I wouldn’t be disappointed. Anyway, have a wonderful weekend and I will check in again on Tuesday after she goes back to class again. They have Monday off because it’s the start of a new session.

2 comments:
This blog is wonderful. You're doing great just by being at CLC! Let Layla be who she is going to be and you help her reach her full potential. The lifestyle you are changing into is going to take many years. It is one of expectation and hard work on both your parts. It took me ten years to finally accept that CE couldn't cure my son but allow him a healthier, more confident, more active life. And the things we worked on at CE for years paid off in many ways down the road. Sometimes it's hard to believe when you can't see immediate results. But even if you doubt, stay the course. You never want to say, "What if?"
It is so nice having you guys home this weekend! Just four more days of schools and then the rat race starts over . You and Laila enjoy & make the best you can out of it . It was so nice to hear that Julie got to go up and spend the day with you . I am so glad that you two have each other !
Post a Comment