
Well, I know I haven't posted in awhile but we had good reason. Unexpectedly last Thursday Jack's Grandpa Bierma passed away. He had been having some health problems but things seemed to be on the upswing and then I got the phone call that he had died. Jack and I have been so fortunate throughout our lives so far to not have experienced much loss. Two years ago Jack's Grandpa Hamstra passed away and it was the first big loss for both of us. The situation with him was a bit different because he was in a nursing home and had failing health for a long time and we were actually called to be with him on his last days and we were there with him when he passed away. This was our first shocking phone call when we received the news of Grandpa Bierma. We started to think about this and Jack said he almost felt like it would be the same shock as if he had been in a car accident and how much easier it was when got to say goodbye to Grandpa Hamstra but not to Grandpa Bierma. But as we talked we both agreed that though harder for us, this was a better situation for Grandpa. He didn't have to suffer the way Grandpa Hamstra had. Grandpa Bierma was just sitting on his back deck enjoying the sun when he dosed off and never woke up again. What better way could we ask God for!

First picture with Emma.
I'm so thankful for the past year that Jack and I had to spend with him. Since we moved we would call them at the last minute and invite them over for dinner if we had extra and they would come and we would eat and visit and play cards well into the night. He was so fun to play cards with, very feisty!! We had so many neat conversations with him about life, when he was in the war, politics, religion and, most importantly to us, parenting. Some may have looked at him in the past as old fashioned and judgemental but we got such a different view of him. He knew his bible and didn't compromised his views for anyone. Yes, there were some that didn't like that but he knew what he stood for and I believe he'll have some crowns in heaven for some of those things. He helped us have a view that no matter what, our kids come first after God and each other. He was willing to give what he had to make sure his kids had everything God wanted for their lives and we hope to follow his example no matter what God might ask of us. We will forever be thankful to God for placing this man in our lives.
We'll miss you greatly Grandpa! Thank you for everything!
PS - stay tuned the next few days, I have a lot to post!



1 comment:
What a nice tribute to a man who lived out his Christianity. If only we could all have that written about us when we go.
Keep those memories close in your heart and enjoy them each time you are sad.
I especially enjoyed the wedding picture. How sweet to think of the love they had for each other that lasted such a long time.
Hugs to all of you...
Dave and Jenni
Post a Comment