Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Switch – a - Room

We’ve been working out tails off over here.  Even before we found out about Laila coming Emma had decided to move in to the bedroom in our basement because she is EXTREMELY afraid of tornados.  We’ve been battling ever spring/summer to get her to go to bed at night because she’s always afraid that there is going to be a tornado.  I explained to her that we have a basement and so if that ever happen, (and probably never will even though the stupid siren goes off all the time!) we have a basement and tornados can’t get underground.  Well she decided that’s where she wanted to be then.  I never thought that she would want to move down there as a seven year old, I figured it would be the teenage “I want my own space” years.  So, we let her try it out for a week or two and she slept wonderfully and loved it so we decided to let her stay. 

The bedroom situation was one of the big things that Jack and I discussed when thinking about adopting Laila because it meant we would have to have Emma & Jackson share a room for a few years.  Laila has some pretty bad nights and we didn’t want her keeping Emma up if they shared a room.  We also knew that those “tween” years are coming for Emma and that she would not want to be sharing a room with her little brother.  We decided that we’d do it for now and God would work out the details later with an addition to our house or something.  How cool that it’s already taken care of?!?

We had some friends offer to paint Emma’s room for us while we were in Mexico so that was a HUGE help because #1 I HATE to paint, #2 it was going to take a ton of painting because it was covering dark wood paneling and #3 I just don’t have the time.  I knew we wouldn’t have the time once we got home with only having 5 days until Laila comes and I didn’t want Emma to ever think “oh, we’ll get to you after we get Laila settled.”

So…… four coats of primer, a coat of paint and more hours than she’ll admit to later….. Chanda made Emma’s room beautiful :)

101_0741

101_0742

101_0744

I told her I wanted it splatter paint to kind of give it some character and to make it match the new bed set Emma had picked out.  It looks really neat!  I think Amanda’s gonna paint some big stars on the walls with some of the left over purple, silver & black to finish it off.

The only issue with this switching of rooms is the mess that it made.  We emptied Emma’s new room and then had all of that mess in the middle of the basement and had to find place for all of it because this was our guest bedroom/catch all room…..  We also had to empty Emma’s old room (including the closet full of junk!!!) to make room for Laila’s stuff.  It was a lot of work and the rest of the house has to turned into a mess in the process but I’m so glad to have the girl’s rooms all finished and settled.

Laila’s Room

101_0750

Well, enough writing for now.  Need to get the rest of this house cleaned before I bring Laila home tomorrow :)  If I get it done I really wanna write a little about my sweet Emma & Jackson later.  We’ll see…..

ps – here’s Jackson’s room just for fun.  nothing changed but didn’t want to leave him out :)

101_0751

Are you reading this?  Leave a comment with your name so I know who’s actually reading.  I’m curious.

5 comments:

Carrie said...

Cute rooms! My sister moved into a bedroom in the basement (at our old house) when she was 7, and she loved it!

Steigenbergs said...

Now it all makes more sense. Just "seeing" it helps. Can't wait to see it in person. Emma's room looks totally different, in such a wonderful way. I LOVE it! SO much brighter than it was before.

By the way, Erin said the other day that she was going to your house to take a nap. :) Keep forgetting to tell you that.

So excited for tomorrow! I can't believe you are getting your daughter for real, and it's tomorrow, and I'm not there. But I think you have enough to deal with right now. :)

Miss you and love you.

Jenni

Manda said...

I read the whole thing! I see what you mean about the paint, I love it! :)

MamaDuck76 said...

I love reading it, Angie! Thanks for keeping us up to date, even on the little things!

Emma was telling me about her room on Sunday. Seeing it is fun!

Dawn

Em said...

Beautiful rooms! I don't read daily, but I do read!