Friday, July 16, 2010

Laila – Day One

We made it through our first day!!! Laila slept all through the night and didn’t make a peep. I’d like to say it is because she is so comfortable here but I know most of it was pure exhaustion from the whole day at Riley’s yesterday.

Her nurse, Amy, arrived at 7 this morning and we spent some time going through the house and showing her where everything is. By the way, my mom is the greatest! She brought us dinner last night after keeping our other two kids all day then she stayed and helped me organize and put away all of Laila’s things. Thanks mom!! Anyway, Amy decided to wake Laila up to get her morning routine of bath, dressed, meds & stretching all started. Well, Laila must have still been tired because she was yawning and sleepy all morning. She took about a 3 1/2 hr nap in the afternoon so she must have been!

We had a great day together. Amy taught me several things and gave me tips. It’s great to have her here to help. It’s also great that Laila’s foster mom is so willing to answers my questions and be there for us as well. I definitely think I would feel a lot more overwhelmed if it wasn’t for (and no I’m not just saying that because I know she reads this ;) We had a few things that we had to go out for today so Laila stayed with Amy. I think it was so good for her to have someone here with her that she’s so familiar with. I think that will help the transition.

While Laila was snoozing away this afternoon I got some of my phone calls made checking up on different things that have been started to get her more equipment and benefits. I feel like it’s going to be a long process but I’m thankful for any help we can get. Jack and I have been looking at new vehicles and knew that sometime in the next few years we’re gonna need one with a wheelchair lift. Well, after lugging around the wheelchair yesterday and today, we’re thinking the sooner the better. She’s tiny but that chair weighs a ton. Also, the regular car seats aren’t so great for her because there’s not as much neck support so it would be really nice for her to be able to ride in the car in the chair that has been specially designed just for her. The problem: cost. These vans cost about an extra $25,000 more than the ones without the lift. Not to give too much away, but a used one will cost us more that a year’s salary. So, I’m also checking into special needs car seats and looking into different foundations to see if we could qualify for a grant or something. Someone today said to just write the owner of the Braun company and ask him to donate one to us because she’s so cute he’d have to say yes ;)

Anyway, enough money talk. Laila had fun watching the kids and laughing at them today. She babbled on and I finally got to hear her say her name today. One of the highlights was when Jack got home from work and walked in to see her, she smiled big and said “hi dad!” While I’m sure that she doesn’t know him as her dad yet and it was probably random, he was still super excited!

We were having so much fun with each other today that I didn’t take any pictures! I did however get this short video of her babbling a bit. She was talking so good before I grabbed the camera (typical kid!!) but this is good as well. Especially for those of you far away that aren’t sure when you’ll get to meet her.

Not sure if I had mentioned this before but my friend Kat nominated us to a photographer that she knows for a free portrait session to get family pictures with our new little love. Well the woman picked us and so we’re looking forward to doing that. Wednesday night before Laila came, Kat came over and brought all the kids matching outfits for when we get the pictures taken. They were all very excited and I showed Laila her dress today and she smiled big. She loves Miss Kat :)

We also got a reclining high chair today from our Peterson friends. Miss Chanda hand sewed a cover for it just for Laila. Although Laila loves Miss Chanda, I think she has a secret crush on Mr. Ross. Chanda said she’s gonna have to keep an eye on our flirty little girl :)

This evening Emma and Jackson went off to VBS at church and after visiting with the Petersons, we took Laila over to meet Grandma Hamstra at Oak Grove. Grandma was so excited to meet her and they were comparing wheelchairs and leg braces. I think they’ve decided to be buddies :) Wish I wouldn’t have forgotten my camera :(

After Oak Grove it was time to go get Emma & Jackson from church. We were very excited to introduce her to all of our CCOD friends. We were surrounded by friends saying hi to her and welcoming her. She got a little scared of the VBS mascot Cooper but don’t worry Mr. Phillips, I’m sure she’ll love you when you’re not dressed up like an enormous dog!! ;) We also received a gift basket from Life’s Little Dreams, the adoption/foster care ministry at our church. Laila did really well for a while but then just wanted to snuggle into my neck and hide from people. She got a little overwhelmed. The good thing is that she got to meet several people tonight so Sunday will be a little easier. We can’t wait to teach her to pray and watch for what God is doing in her life. I think we’re still just kind of blown away at the way we’ve seen His hand bring us where we are today. We have a long rode ahead of us but it would be silly for us not to trust Him with the way He has made His presence so evident to us so far. I hope Laila can grasp that too some day. I’m already trying to teach her to fold her hands and am praying with her every night for God to help her feel comfortable, safe, & secure here with us. Would you pray for that too please?

3 comments:

Steigenbergs said...

Oh, sweet Laila, I'm praying for you and I love you so much. Thanks for smiling big for the camera and reaching into my heart with your little hand. I wish I could be there to see you in person, and hug you, and tell you hi. :)

Erin says hi right on back. :)

Love you!

Anonymous said...

It was so great meeting Laila Friday night :-D Tell her not to worry, Sabrina is still a little scared of Cooper after seeing him two years in a row, lol ;-)

Kat said...

Can't wait to see those pictures!!!! =)