Thursday, July 1, 2010

Made a Mommy at Riley’s

So turns out Laila was actually sick and that is why she was so out of it when she was here the other day.  Her foster mom decided to have her checked out at the doctor and since she’s so complicated that usually means they end up sending her to Riley’s in Indianapolis, and was so yesterday.

I waited to hear whether or not they were going to admit her and they ended up deciding to so I hopped in the car and headed down there to stay overnight with her.  It worked out well for all of us because her foster brother was sick too so mom needed to stay with him and dad had a prior commitment so I got to actually be a help!  Yay!

She was still in the ER when I arrived at around 11pm to relieve dad and the home nurse.  We wanted until about 1am before they got her to a room.  On our way to the room she had to stop for an x-ray so we headed that way with the nurse trying to steer this big old crib down the hallway (which was actually pretty comical!).  When we got to the x-ray the tech kept saying things like “your mommy will hold you” and “mommy, can you hold her hand?”  I must have had a funny look on my face because he asked me if something was wrong.  I told him I just hadn’t really been called that for her yet and he just smiled and said “well, pretty soon she’s yours so you better get used to it mommy!”  Of course I started to cry because that seems to be all I do these days.  I actually think I’m having more hormone issues with adoption than I did with actual birth!! ;)  I think something clicked.  As the nurses would come in and out and everyone just says mom or mommy when referring to me and it no longer seemed foreign to me anymore.   I was able to be with her, comfort her, clean her up, sing to her.  I felt like a mommy.

I think one of the greatest things about today though was spending it with her foster mom.  She truly has a gift for this.  At one point a new person came in and looked at the both of us and said “which one’s mom?” and without missing a beat she said “both of us, I’m foster and she’s adoptive.”  I love that.  I love that we see each other and are thankful for each of our parts in Laila’s life.  I love that this special little girl is loved so much by so many.  What a true blessing we have to be in this wonderful journey with them.

Laila ended up feeling much better today and was able to go home this evening.  I’m so fortunate to be able to go through these experiences and learning while we have help and someone to learn from.  What a wonderful way God has guided us and set up this whole situation.

I ask prayers as we leave in the morning for Mexico.  Praise God with us for our wonderful 10 years of marriage, praise Him for the three amazing children He has placed in our lives, praise Him for our desire to serve Him on this trip, praise Him for His wonderful, unimaginable, unfailing love.  Lord strength Jack and I as we spend this time together and be with our kiddos and keep them healthy and safe until we return.

When we get back = T-minus 5 days till Laila comes to stay!!  :)

5 comments:

Steigenbergs said...

Thanks for celebrating by being hands and feet. We love you!

MamaDuck76 said...

How amazing to adjust to this new baby as your daughter, to get used to the word Mommy all over again. We're so excited for your family!

Carrie said...

Awesome, Angie. That just brought tears to my eyes. Praying for you as you start this journey!!

Carrie said...

Awesome, Angie. That post made me cry. Praying for you all as you start this journey and take this leap of faith w/ God.

Kat said...

Why must you make my cry???? ;) Love you!!!!