Without a doubt Grandma Hixson is the one I have always been the closest to out of all of my grandparents. She is an amazing woman. When I was three my grandpa died of a heart attack at a very young age. I can't imagine what that must have been like for her. From what I'm told he was one of the funnest guy to be around. I, of course, was one of his favorites because my mom gave me the fun initials AMF which my grandpa apparently thought was hilarious and called me his little bowling ball (AMF is a bowling brand). Anyway, I can't imagine the pain and heart ache my grandma went through with that whole experience. She's still single to this day and that was almost 23 years ago.
Since Gram was a widow she stayed on her own for a while but then moved in with my Aunt Lois (Hi Aunt Lois!) because of course like my Gram, Aunt Lois is another AMAZING lady who loves and would do anything for anyone. I remember being little and always going to visit and stay over night with them. My Gram would also come and stay with us quite often and since I was the youngest she would get to sleep in my bed with me. I loved when she came to visit. She probably got so sick of me because everytime I would ask her to tell me the story of The Boy Who Cried Wolf. I have no idea how that ever started but I remember hearing it over and over and over again. I would say that is probably the reason why even a little white lie makes my stomach turn even today.
Gram is the one who makes up stories and comes up with the funnest games to play. I remember all the crazy songs she used to sing to me and now does with my kids. My kids absolutely adore her. I've always so much admired the way all the kids listen to her and always obey and respect her and she barely ever yells. They just know that GG means business and she's too fun to make mad.
She stayed in Portage for many years eventually moving in with her other sister Millie. After several years she retired and moved down by us into a house that my parents rent out. I love having here right here where we can annoy her any time we want. The picture from above is from the local restaurant in Wheatfield (yep, they have a restaurant!!!) on Gram's 70th birthday. April and I decided to take her out for a burger. I went home with my stomach hurting from laughing so much. Some conversations you might never have with your grandma are definitely fair game with mine :) She's one the greatest woman I've ever met and I'm so extremely blessed to have her in my life.

3 comments:
I have to laugh ~ Your grandma is younger than my dad!
She seems like a WONDERFUL grandma, and I'm glad she's still around to enjoy her great grandkids!
Happy Birthday, GG!! :)
I think it is so cool that you have a grandma who doesn't blush about anything. It's neat to hear her story, and I'm so happy to know her.
Keep enjoying her for a long time to come!
GG, you will be missed.
~J
Post a Comment