Friday, July 25, 2008

A Week at the Lake

This summer has been so full I can hardly keep up!! I know I disappeared for a week but that was because we decided that we were going to stay down in Buffalo with my mom and dad at their lake for the week. It is the same distance for Jack to drive to work from there as it is to drive from home so why not enjoy some boating in the evenings for a week!!

We left Sunday afternoon to go down there and the weather was beautiful. By the time we got there we were definitely ready to go out on the boat. Jack got to do some wake boarding and the kids and I tubed. For those of you that don't know, my parents have been going to Lake Shaffer sine I was very little. I was thinking about it while I was there and I think it has been almost 20 years!! That sounds SO weird to me, I don't even think I'm 20 years old yet!!. Well, a girl and dream :)








Monday morning Jack went to work and he called us and let us know a nice little storm was brewing over by him in Rensselaer and we decided to stay in until we figured out what was gonna happen. Sure enough, we got a storm and it knocked out the electricity. Good thing I packed books and games to play!! Emma and I got to practice some of her reading (which she is incredible at!!) and then we played some Cariboo (if you have little ones, this game is a must! fun and learning at the same time!). Anyway, after a little while Emma conned Grandpa into playing my little pony with her. Now that was a sight to see!! Check it out below! I only wish you could hear the funny conversation they were having. Priceless!!







Once the electricity came back on it was time to crawl in Pap's bed and watch a movie.









Tuesday I got to go fishing with my dad while my mom watched the kids!! WOOHOO! Quiet time!! Anyway, my dad didn't fish much when I was little so it was nice to be able to go with him now. We didn't catch that many but I did something I've never done; I held a fish!!! I decided that if Emma can do it then so can I. I still won't bait my own hook, I just can't get past the goo that comes out or sticking the hook through the minnow's eye but at least I touched a fish! I also caught the biggest one out the few we did catch.





When Dad and I got back I decided to let let the kids try their hand at fishing down by the bayou and they both caught one in a matter of just a few minutes. We were so excited! Don't let Emma's picture fool you. I was holding the fish while taking her picture at the same time. The fish looks HUGE but it's only because it was closer to the camera. And Jackson..... well he didn't even really want to come near it but as you can see from the other picture, he did LOVE casting his Spider Man fishing pole.






Jack and I decided that night to take the kids out on an evening cruise. This was the first time we put our boat in. We don't usually bring our boat to my dad's because he has one but we figured we would this time because we wanted to get a little more use out of it before someone decides to buy it. We've enjoyed it so much but it just isn't practical for us right now. We got our reminder just how fun it is but we also got our reminder of why we're selling it when we saw the gas pump go up and up and up as we filled up both the truck and boat before we left. Oh well, the evening ride made for some nice pictures anyway.











On Wednesday Jack came home early and we took the kids to Indiana Beach. And yes, there's more than corn in Indiana!! The kids love it there and again it's a spot that I've visited every year since I was little so it's special to me as well. As I watch the kids doing different things I get glimpses of back when I was little. I remember asking my parents every weekend if we could go there and my kids do the exact same thing every time we go to dad's lake. It's so funny. Emma rode the Hoosier Hurricane roller coaster three times. She couldn't get enough. Jackson's favorite was the log ride which he called the water roller coaster. It was a great day and we of course went on CVS day so we got in buy one get one free. Gotta love a bargain!!







We spent Thursday just hanging out and swimming at the beach. We played a little of our new Mario Kart game on the wii that we got for $5 and then called it a night. It was a very fun week and I'm sure we'll be doing it again sometime. These are the times memories are made!

2 comments:

MamaDuck76 said...

Yay, a new post! I looked forward to seeing your pictures from this week. Does that make me your stalker?! ;)

It looks as though you had a GREAT week! The cottage looks a little nicer than the tent for waiting out a rain storm.

You have such fun family pictures. Your kids are going to grow up with great memories. You're an awesome mom! :)

Oh...I won't bait a hook, either. It's disgusting. I don't blame you!

Carrie said...

What a great post! You are going to love that you can look back on this some day. I can't wait until Taylor and Zach are that age. I just love seeing how Emma & Jackson are together... and all of the fun things you can do with them now. Sounds like an awesome family filled week!