Thursday, October 21, 2010

An Eight Year Old???

I’m still pondering the fact that I now have an eight year old!!!  How did this happen?  Who let her get so grown up?  I think I’m going to file a complaint….with….. well I guess no one.

Seriously though, what an amazing daughter I have.  She has been such a light to me over the past few months when I needed it the most.  She loves God with everything she has and always turns to prayer when there’s something anyone needs.  God definitely teaches us through our children!

This year I finally broke down and got her a Nintendo DSi.  I’ve never, ever been a fan of video games.  I feel like pointless hours are lost and I see so many kids who don’t know how to function in normal society without having their faces burried in an electronic device.  But, she’s been asking for a couple of years and so I figured with the right rules and mind set it can actually be very helpful.  We set limitations on the fact that she is only allowed to have educational games and that we have a time limit that she allowed to play it.  I know, I’m no fun but she’ll thank me one day right??  There are some pretty fun educational games out there and honestly  I have found myself a little addicted to Brain Age and Book Worm!  I figure DS with educational games beats no DS at al right?  Anyway, she was very excited about it and very happy with how her birthday turned out. 

Here is a picture of her with the cake.  Let me just say before anyone else can, yes I know that when you look at the cake it looks a bit like an inappropriate part of the female anatomy but it is actually the number 8!!

Oct 10 026

Thank you God for giving me this special girl.  Keep her safe and close to you for not only 8 more years but for 80 more years!!

3 comments:

MamaDuck76 said...

Happy Birthday, Emma!

She sure was excited to tell me about her new DS. I'm with you on the video game thing - moderation and careful watch over what games kids play. Brain Age IS a lot of fun, though! :)

Kat said...

Sami is on my lap playing her DSi as I read this! Ha!

I thought I would have to set limits on time with her, but so far she's doing a great job on her own. =) Matt however...he,he!

We love you Emma! Happy Birthday!

Steigenbergs said...

I can't believe you had an 8 year old... And I'll never forget that day 8 years ago. Wow. 8 years ago!

She is definitely a sweet girl, and an example to all of us about what God can do with a life.

The cake is beautiful. Probably one of the easier ones you have done, that's for sure!

A DS is a good thing for a kid like her, because it is truly a reward and won't be abused. She already knows her limits. I love that!

Happy big girl! :)