Tuesday, October 4, 2011

October Hymn Sing

Emma & Grandma Hamstra - Oct 4, 2011
Every couple of months I get the privilege of leading the Tuesday night hymn singing at Oak Grove Retirement Village where Grandma Hamstra lives.  Although this week is crazy busy making up for being gone a whole month I wasn't willing to cancel on this one for tonight.  Emma has been with me a few times before and read or recited different scriptures and tonight she decided to join me again. 

Tonight Emma had nothing in mind but service.  I do so much love that girl's heart!  She planned to come to sit with grandma and turn the pages for her as that's a little difficult for her these days.  She ended up passing out the books to the other residents and making sure there was enough room and chairs for everyone.  I loved leading the songs and watching her help grandma be able to fin her place.  I also just melt when I watch her little face signing every word with all her heart.  I love that she's getting to know these hymns at her Friday morning singing at school.  While I'm young and do love to rock out on Sunday mornings,
 I also appreciate the beauty and honesty of these older songs too and I love that she's getting that experience. 

On our way home she was saying how she had such a good time and I told her I was proud of her for wanting to help because not a lot of people like to do things like that.  She responded in shock and couldn't believe that people were missing out on such fun.  I pray she keeps this servants heart forever :)

2 comments:

MamaDuck76 said...

She does have a heart for service, and she's learned it from a terrific example - you! LOVE your family & your heart to honor God & serve others :)

Steigenbergs said...

Emma, I love you and am so proud of you. Keep up the good work!

~AJ