Monday, November 10, 2008

Walt Disney World!!!!


Disney was an experience unlike any other. I'm still trying to recover being home and having to live in the real world and get things done (like my blog :) It is very funny how the magic and the carefree lifestyle are hard to let go of. We planned our trip with all expenses taken care of a long time ago, including spending money so it was a HUGE relief for me to just let loose for a few days.

I took the five days to be "Fun Mom." With all of the pressures of raising kids and trying to teach them right from wrong and trying to raise a polite young lady and a gentleman, most of the time I feel like all I do is say no and correct them. I know that's not the case but it builds after awhile and I really want to give in to societies view of being their friend. I don't because I know that is not the reason why God gave them to me and I have to persevere but man, it is so hard sometimes. Anyway, that is the reason why I thought I would take this time to be in a magical place and be able to transform into "Fun Mom." I prayed for months that God would just let me relax for awhile, have patience and that the kids would realize that it's vacation and that things change when we go back home. Well, that is just the way that it worked out.

We bought the dining plan with our package so all meals and two snacks per person per day were included on our room key. So..........
The kids were pretty much always choosing these HUGE lollipops. They couldn't believe I let them have it. Yay, Fun Mom!!!!We flew out of Indy on Thursday and my parents drove us to the airport. The kids had flown the airlines one other time and that was when we went to Colorado two years ago. Since Jackson was 18 months at that time we were able to have him on our lap. That was not a good idea. He was kicking the seats and didn't want to sit still and people were asking to be moved away from us. THANKFULLY, we did not have that experience this time. Everyone had their own seat and we brought lots of activities and snacks and they were both very good.

Jackson sat with me (which by the way was pretty much the only time he wanted to have anything to do with me)Emma sat with Daddy. Doesn't she look so grown up?!?!When we got to Orlando, Disney had everything taken care of. We didn't even have to get our luggage. The gave us special tags and then delivered our bags from the airplane to our room within three hours. They have a special bus that brought us right to our hotel and they even have a little area playing the Disney channel for the kids to watch while we stood in line to check in. Jack and I came out of this trip thinking that with the way Disney has all their bases covered and pretty much thinks of everything you need, maybe they could rule the world ;)

We checked into our room and went to check it out. It was very cool! We stayed in the All-Star Movies resort so there were huge characters on every building. Later that night we even took some pictures out there.

My camera doesn't do well in the dark but if you look close, you can see Emma & Jackson sitting on Buzz's feet.Since we were on the dining plan we also got to eat where ever we wanted to which included the character dining. We were there from Thursday through Monday and already by Saturday afternoon the plan had paid for itself.

I had planned a reservation for our first night at Chef Mickey's. It ended up being a great idea since we didn't actually go into the park that day since we arrived in the afternoon and didn't want to pay for park tickets. The kids were itching to see some characters and Chef Mickey's was a great place for that. The nice thing with the character dining is that each character comes to your table for pictures and autographs so there is no waiting in line and the kids aren't asking if they can get up to go meet someone every few minutes.

Here are some pictures from the fun at Chef Mickey'sFun Mom let them have anything they wanted on their ice cream so she chose everything!Also at the character dining, about every 10 minutes they play a special song and all the kids get up and dance and twirl their napkins around. It a very good thing to get the ants out of their pants :)We had to take the monorail to the Contemporary resort where Chef Mickey's is at so here are a few pics of our first monorail ride.Emma got a little glimpse of the castle ;)The kids slept really well in the hotel. We've never been ones to let our kids in our room with us so they don't usually sleep well when we're all packed in one room but I think Disney was so exhausting that they didn't even notice.

We got up Friday morning to get ready for our first day in the Magic Kingdom. It happen to be Halloween so they were all ready to get in their costumes.Once we were all ready we headed over and were actually able to get in early because I had made breakfast reservations at Cinderella's Royal Table. Yep, that's right, in the castle!!! We walked through the gates of the magic kingdom and their excitement level rose to overflowing. It was like we couldn't walk fast enough to get to that main street where.............

There it is!!!!!The castle!! It's real!!!!They kids were so excited and I just don't think I would ever take it back. In a time where our economy is so poor, yes maybe we should've put that stimulus check in the bank, but to share this excitement with the kids was so priceless. With Christian school tuition, we do not know when we would be able to do this trip again so we took the opportunity and I'm so glad we did.

We had a little time for a few of the classic favorite rides like the Dumbos and It's a Small World (which was Emma's favorite. Try riding that five times and then get that song out of your head!) then we were off to the castle for our royal breakfast. This was the moment I was waiting for; Emma meeting Cinderella. I just knew she was going to flip out. I can not tell you how many times in her life she was asked me "is she real? is there a place that you can see her?" Well, she was real and it was so real that Emma couldn't say really anything at all. She got to the front and walked up to Cinderella and had this blank stare on her face. You know that scene in A Christmas Story where the kid has his speech for Santa all worked out but then when he gets up there all he can do is stare? Well, that was Emma! It was hilarious! She was pretty much that way every time she met a princess. If she did talk it was sort of with her mouth open and in a monotone awe. Ha!! Anyway, here are a few pictures of her favorite princesses.They had a wishing ceremony during breakfast that was really cute.
We spent the rest of the day exploring and riding rides and having lots of fun. Jackson's favorite ride was the Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin. It's sort of like being in an arcade game. Emma was scared of it the first time we rode it because the evil Emperor Zurg talks in a creepy voice but then once she saw Jackson go on it several times, she thought she better be brave so he wouldn't be scared :) She is a pretty big scaredy cat but she overcame that a lot on this trip. Some people asked me where Jackson was for the pictures at the princess breakfast and whether or not he was interested. I'm pretty sure this was his thinking "sausage....... picture with a princess........ sausage........ picture with a princess..... I'll just eat." He was sort of hit or miss whether he cared or wanted to be by the characters so in some pictures he got down and some Jack had to just hold him. He was very much a Daddy's boy during the whole trip. Jenni said he probably just liked the fact of spending so many days with Daddy off work and right there playing with him and he was holding on to that. She's probably right.

Here's Jackson with his favorite rideHere are some other characters we met in the Magic KingdomOn Saturday we visited Hollywood Studios (MGM). It was a lot of fun as well but the kids preferred the Magic Kingdom. MGM has some great rides but most of them are for older kids. We saw a lot of neat shows but after awhile the kids just wanted to ride rides. There is one great ride there that just opened called Toy Story Mania but the wait was so long that we only got to ride it once.For lunch that day we ate at the Play & Dine which was a lot like Chef Mickey's but it had Playhouse Disney Characters. They had fun dancing with Jojo and Goliath and some of the Little Einsteins.The parades at Disney are incredible. They go all out! I liked the Hollywood Studios one the best because it is actually a block party. The parade goes the length of the street and then stops and it's a big dance party for all the kids. If you remember from the video that we made for Emma, I had Kevin put a picture of her in the parade with Boo from Monsters Inc. and if you see below it actually happen in real life!!We also got to go to this great restaurant for dinner that was like a drive in movie theatre. There was a big screen and you eat in cars. Very fun!Here are some characters we met in Hollywood StudiosSunday was back to the Magic Kingdom. We forgot about the time change so when we arrived hoping to be 30 minutes early but we were actually 90 minutes early!! We decided to jump on the monorail for a ride and we got to sit with the driver which was very cool. We rode the monorail over to Epcot since we weren't going to go in the park we thought we would at least check it out from the monorail.We spent the first half of the day in the Magic Kingdom and had lunch at the Crystal Palace with the Winnie the Pooh characters. Then we were all pooped!! We found out that the Magic Kingdom was going to be open until 11 pm for resort guests that night so we all headed back to our hotel for a nap. A much needed nap for all of us!! We got up refreshed and we spent the rest of the day having fun and enjoying each other. We hit our favorite rides again and also tried some new ones like Splash Mountain and Aladdin's Carpets. I stood in line for Emma to meet Tinkerbell which was well worth the wait. It was more of an experience than just meeting her. Very fun!The hallway you walk through that shrinks you down to fairy size so you can see her.Some of the fairies from the new movieAnd of course...... Tinker Bell!We also go to see the great fireworks show that they have. It was beautiful and Tinker Bell really flew through the air which Emma is still talking about.Monday we just hung out at our hotel. We let the kids swim while Jack and I took turns watching them in between packing.We ordered our last meal which was pizza. I thought the box was kind of fun :)Then we were back on our bus off to the airport. We let the kids sit in their own row and when we turned around this is what they looked like.Definitely exhausted!!We had a smooth flight home. I tried the whole way to get Jackson to fall asleep but he just wouldn't and then we touched down in Indy and he said "I didn't want to land, I want to go back......." and then fell asleep. He was a nice pile of dead weight to carry to get our bags!

Well, now that this goes down as the longest blog post in history you all understand why it took me a week to get it on here. Being home has been a challenge for me just trying to get back on track but here's one more thing to cross off my to do list. Be watching for our fun Christmas card (yes, you all know it will be coming soon!!) because it has some magic from our trip on it ;)

3 comments:

Mary said...

This blog was fantastic Angie!!! What a fun, enjoyable, time you all had. This will NEVER be erased from you/Jack or your kids memories. I am so happy that you all were able to do this with your children.

Kat said...

So...I am thinking my hormones must be in full bloom because this made me cry! Ha! (I am SUCH a nerd!)
Your family built some wonderful memories on this trip, and you used the money for exactly what Unlce Sam intended it for...SPENDING! =)

MamaDuck76 said...

Yay! I've been waiting to read this post! (But I didn't cry...sorry!)

What an exciting experience! We are so glad that everything went smoothly and you had a great time. Your kids will remember this forever, so it was definitely money well spent.

I love the thought of a speechless Emma...pretty sure I have yet to see that! Ha ha! (You know I love your adorable little chatterbox! ;)

Keith & I feel the same way about Disney. They do everything so perfectly; if everything around us ran so smoothly, life would be easy! :)