Friday, November 21, 2008

Grandparent's Day



Our school does Grandparent's Day a little later than other schools in our area so last Friday Emma got to have her first big show for her grandparents and she was counting down the days!! Another thing that was different about it at the Christian School is that the whole morning was dedicated to it instead of it just being an hour in the middle of the day. I'm not sure which they would prefer but Emma was SOOO excited that she got to share so much with them. They had coffee and cookies for them from 8-8:30 then a program from 9-945. The program was so cute because it was a whole school affair and they themed it for Veterans day. Each class prepared a special song and then all the kids sang a few songs together. Emma's class did "This Land Is Your Land." Wow!! That was a blast from the past! She got to sing a few songs with all the students but her favorite was the "Fifty Nifty United States" which she had been practicing around the house for weeks. She had been singing it so much that one night when we put Jackson to bed he started singing "New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota...... OOOOHHHIIIOOO!" It was the cutest thing ever. He's really got a great memory. He recognizes most of the letters of the alphabet and can count to 20. I'm so proud of him! Anyway, After the program the kids got a short recess and then got to take their grandparents to their classroom to spend sometime doing fun activities. I left for this portion; I was actually not invited to come at all but I just couldn't miss it! I bet I'm that mom who everyone hates because she always wants to take a picture of everything her kid does.

I actually got pretty sappy about grandparents day thinking about how blessed we are to have our family here. If we had still been in Michigan Grandma Mary and Papa Tom wouldn't have been able to take turns leaving the shop to each be able to come and Grandma Kathy wouldn't have been able to leave her classroom for just a few hours to spend that time with her and the great grandmas probably wouldn't have been able to make it at all. (Great) Grandma Hamstra wasn't feeling up to leaving the nursing home that day and I was pretty sad about that but totally understood. I just keep thinking about how we only have each moment we're living in right now to share special things with our loved ones. I think that maybe she won't still have all her great-grandmas for the next grandparents day but really no one of us knows how long any of us has so I'm trying to make everything that I do count right now. I hope you are too and realize that something like a grandparents day can be something that memories are made of if you seize each opportunity.

I hope all of you are doing well and have a very Happy Thanksgiving. I'm thinking that I'll have a post the week after about the crazy annual shopping adventure my mom, my sister and I have the day after Thanksgiving. Shop Till You DROP!!

2 comments:

Kat said...

Wow what great memories!!!! =) She is SO lucky to have so much family!

MamaDuck76 said...

I'm glad you went - who else would have captured all the great memories in photo? Looks like Emma & the grandparents all had a good time!

You should try to get Jackson's singing on video!