On January 22nd we got the privilege of going to the Prairie Arts Art show on the campus of our local college. Emma had a piece of her artwork that was featured with several other students from surrounding schools in our area. She was SOOO excited and we were very proud and excited for her.
I love the concept of this because it is all elementary students and not only do they feel so special to be chosen but they also get to go to a college campus and hear a speech on creativity and how art is one of the only subjects where there is really no wrong answer.
I’m so amazed and in awe of the person Emma is becoming. She thinks things through (most of the time) an analyzes them and usually tries to find God in whatever it is she is doing. Recently they have been studying African American history in her class at school. She has grown a sort of obsession with Ruby Bridges. For those that don’t know, she was the first African American child to be integrated into white school. She has her brother and cousin role playing and acting out the scenes, she’s writing papers on her and talks about her a lot in conversation. Over the weekend I was in Texas visiting family and she called me to tell me about a paper she was writing about Ruby. She told me that she wanted to find a verse that she thinks could have been something that Ruby would’ve been able to use to not be afraid. So, on her own, she searched the bible and found Hebrews 13:6 “So we say with confidence ‘The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?’” She called and told me that and then said “ya know mom, I really started thinking about that and really, what could man do to us? Nothing! God is bigger than anyone!” Man I love that girl!

1 comment:
What a privilege and honor!!! Super proud of you Emma!
Post a Comment