Thursday, August 20, 2009

The end of an era

So here I sit. Quiet house. My baby girl is gone from me all day, every day in first grade. I can hardly stand it. Has it already been almost seven years? That can't be possible. All along people tell you how fast time will go by but it's another one of those things like when people tell you that the love you have for your children something so amazing; both are indescribable until you experience them.

I can't help but think but the future. From now on, for the rest of Emma's life she will spend the majority of her time away from me. At first I just kept saying "for the next twelve years" but then I got even more sad when I thought about the fact that at that time she'll probably be leaving us for college or whatever other adventure God has in store for her. It is actually completely boggling my mind this week. My charge to those of you with kids still at home is make it count! I hope and pray that these past years that I have had with her have built a bond between us that will be so strong that even though she spends more time with others, that I would be the one that she trusts the most for opinions and love. I know this is very dramatic because it's only first grade but the kids are growing up faster and faster these days and as I said before, as the time passes so quickly I feel the need to be focused and prepared NOW so I can handle things later. I know I can't just wake up one day when she's 13 and then expect her to trust and confide in me. She's too precious for that. Thank you God for giving her to me.

On a bit of a lighter note before I cry some more :) she is LOVING school. Her teachers are amazing and I love the little notes they send telling us they are praying for her and already the new things she is learning. I picked her up from her first day all excited for her and asked her how it was. I was expecting a "GREAT" for "so fun" but, in true Emma fashion, she looked at me all dreamy eyed and sighed ".....it's perfect...." Gotta love my little drama queen.

1 comment:

MamaDuck76 said...

Aww, you make me sad when I read this. I'm glad Emma is LOVING school, and I'm so thankful that you have the privelege of sending her to the Christian school! :)