Sunday, July 15, 2012

Happy 2nd Gotcha Day Laila

Today marks two years since the day we brought Laila home.  Wow, time flies!

Remember this girl the day we brought her home??

And now she's this crazy girl......

I've been a bit teary eyed today thinking of the past two years.  I can honestly say they have been the happiest, saddest, rewarding, frustrating, tears of joy, tears of sorrow, self reflection, self disappointing, lovely years of my life.  I can't explain how this girl has changed me.  It's not about me.  This is what I've learned.  When I step back and look at my life what do I want to see?  I want to know that God truly used me for His purpose.  I feel like being a mother of my children is definitely what He wanted.  Every one of my kids is so unique and special and I see God working through them in so many ways and I know how different they could be because I've seen different.  God has blessed us beyond belief and grown us in uncomfortable, incredible ways through this little miracle girl named Laila.

She went from just a handful of words two years ago to about 75-100 words last year and today (according to a handout I just did from her therapist) she's at about 450-500 words now!  Oh how communication changes things.  I can honestly say that I would choose speech over any other ability she could gain.  Yesterday my parents stopped by and she was just cracking them up.  She's a jokester and then says "Papa, I so funny!"

She went from diapers and me thinking that would be our whole life to being pretty much completely potty trained.  She tells me she has to go (most of the time) and actually enjoys her alone time on the potty.  I get her all set and then she says "goodbye momma, goodbye!" and kicks me out!  Oh yes, the four year old attitude is there FOR SURE!

She loves to pester her brother and sister and is so sneaky about yelling at them when she thinks I can't hear her.  Her absolute favorite thing to do is hang out in Emma's room.  I think she really feels like a big shot when her big sister invites her into her room.  She's also starting to understand that she has a new brother coming and when she sees his picture on the fridge she says "RJ!"

She has the absolute most infectious laugh I've EVER heard.  I was so frustrated with her the other day and I was just was about to cry and then she and Emma were in the back seat, of course everything Emma and Jackson do make her crack up, and she started that laugh and I tried as hard as I could to stay mad but I just had to laugh too.  She's got a special light in her that I only see in other special needs kids.  God definitely made them different but not in the ways we see them as different, but in their eyes and hearts and minds.

We absolutely, positively, without a doubt love you to pieces baby girl.  Thank you for what you do for us!

No comments: