These things don't just happen to people. I keep saying that in disbelief of the surprise we got this past week. Let me start at the beginning......
We have stayed in touch and good friends with one of Laila's therapists that she had before she turned three and was in the First Steps program for therapy. Stacy was the one therapist that transferred with her when she came to live with us. She is also the only person that we know that has known Laila pretty much her whole life. She provided therapy for her for awhile before she went into foster care. Her friendship and support has been invaluable to me because she not only rejoices with every little victory that Laila has made because she knows how bad off she was before, but she is also a strong woman of faith and is willing to pray with me and encourage me in the only way that really works. I honestly am not sure if I would've made it through some of those weeks of therapy with her in the beginning if it hadn't been for Stacy's kind words. She was also very good at incorporating Jackson into therapy to help Laila which was so good for us when we were trying to find a place for everyone in our crazy, upside down life at that time.
We have been able to get together a few times since Laila aged out of First Steps in May and the Webb family was a huge supporter of Laila's progress at CLC as well. One day a few weeks ago we decided to stop by Stacy's house because we had an hour to kill and we had been saying for a long time that we would but had never made it over there. They moved in June and we really wanted to be able to see their house. On a whim I called Stacy and asked if Laila and I could stop by. We popped over a little while later and visited for a bit. While we were there her husband Jeff came home after having lunch with a consultant that he works with who comes in once a week. We greeted each other and then Stacy started telling this man, George, that Laila was her miracle child and how far she had come. We were having Laila try to take her steps and she was giving George that famous Laila smile. Jeff was looking through their mail and saw that their new Kindle had come so he opened it up to check it out. We were all sitting around talking about how we loved the new movie Courageous and would recommend it (buy it when it comes out in January just had to get that plug in there!!). Stacy said she was going to use the Kindle in her therapy with patients and wondered if I had heard of people using them for therapy. I explained that the Kindle is great but the reason the Ipad is better for Laila is that the screen is bigger and with her poor fine motor control that makes a big difference. The guys left, Stacy and I visited a little while longer and that was the end of a fun day. I thought.
This past Wednesday Stacy showed up at our house with an Ipad for Laila. Apparently George fell in love with Laila and her story and her progress and decided to give her his Ipad. He said that reading books on it and playing Angry Birds was not as important as Laila's learning and progress. I think I am still in shock from the whole thing. What an amazing, giving, Christian man to not only give her an Ipad but to give her his own Ipad! I seriously am out of words to express my gratitude to this family. A "chance" meeting (God set it up), a Kindle delivery that sparked a conversation and amazing friends that believe in and support us. Laila is so amazingly blessed and is a blessing and I so look forward to many more things that God is going to use her through to show His love and kindness. Praise Him! And THANK YOU George!!
Sunday, December 4, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
How amazing!!!
Post a Comment