Friday, April 30, 2010

First foster experience


We got a chance to help out another foster family by doing some respite care for them while they went on a cruise. You can have people babysit for you but if is going to be an overnight stay it has to be someone licensed. We were happy to FINALLY be able to do something with this license we've had for months!

I can't give too many specifics or show pictures of how stinkin' cute these three were but I can share some of the things that we learned in the process.

  1. Every child is very different and receives and gives love in many different ways.
  2. Three boys together in one room makes for a very giggly bed time.
  3. Be careful how you talk around your children and keep mean remarks to yourself. Even if you're frustrated or being sarcastic, they hear them and hold onto them for years.
  4. Be careful of sibling rivalry.
  5. Build a fort out of blankets and you'll be the coolest mom ever.
  6. Even when a child tries to hit and kick you and say they'll never ever be good, just a simple "I love you and I will never believe that" can make you see something in their eyes that truly makes them believe it.
  7. When you have a snow day and have six kids (I still babysit Alaina too) a schedule is a MUST!
  8. Being a crazy busy mom is more rewarding than any other job or ministry could be.
  9. Make time for your husband. Period.
  10. When it time for them to go, be thankful for the time you had with them and trust they will remember the thing you said and leave the rest up to God.
Fort #1

Fort #2
We even got brave enough and brought all the kids to our volleyball game.
Some snow day activities
We got called for another respite placement for over memorial weekend. A two year old cutie. Looking forward to helping out with her as well :)

2 comments:

MamaDuck76 said...

I love #6. That was the PERFECT thing to say :)

#9 is sooooo tough sometimes! I need to be reminded of that often in these busy days of parenting little ones!

I hope that soon, it will be your turn to do something bigger than respite care. So glad you get another opoprtunity for respite, soon, though! Exciting!

Kat said...

I love how big your heart is...and how you are so willing to share it with everyone!!!

This post made me teary...but then again...its me~and I'm a crier!!!! =)